|Here's my take on some healthy foods that pack
plenty of flavor. Try these easy to cook recipes
and you won't be disappointed. And of course,
don't forget my golden rule -
when in doubt use more beer!
|Belgium Triple Pound Cake
1/2 cup raisins
1 cup Belgium Triple Ale
1⅓ cups ½-inch diced carrots
2 cups self-rising flour
1½ tsp. ground cinnamon
2⅔ cups confectioners’ sugar, divided
½ cup unsalted butter (1 stick), softened
2 Tbs. low-fat sour cream
4 large egg whites
1. Preheat to 350°F. Coat 9- x 5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
Line bottom of 1pan with parchment paper.
2. Combine raisins and beer in deep bowl. Cover tightly, and
microwave 45 sec. Uncover, stir once, and set aside.
3.Put carrots in food processor, and chop until reduced to rice-size bits.
4. Whisk together flour and cinnamon in small bowl.
5. Mix 2 cups sugar and butter in large bowl with electric mixer until smooth.
6. Blend in one-third of flour, half of carrot mixture, and sour cream. Blend in
another one-third flour, remaining half of carrot mixture, then remaining one-
third of flour. Blend in the beer used to soak raisins, then fold in raisins.
7. Beat egg whites with electric mixer until soft peaks form.
8. Beat in remaining 2/3 cup sugar until stiff peaks form. Fold egg whites into
batter. Spread batter in prepared pan, and bake 1 hour 20 minutes,
9. Let stand 5 minutes. Run knife around pan sides, and turn cake out onto
rack. Peel off parchment paper, and turn cake right side up to cool completely
|Veggie Beer Pot Pie
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups cremini mushrooms, sliced
1 pound seitan chunks
1/4 cup flour + 2 tablespoons flour, divided
salt and pepper
1-1/2 cups potatoes, diced
1/2 cup carrots, chopped
thyme and rosemary
1 (12-ounce) bottle Stout or Porter
2 pie shells
1 cup vegetable broth
1. Heat olive oil in 2-quart saucepan. Add onion and cook until almost
2. Add garlic and mushrooms. Dust seitan with 1/4 cup flour and add to pan.
Season with salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes.
3. Add potatoes, carrots, thyme, rosemary, worcestershire sauce, and beer.
4. Cover, lower heat, and simmer for 15 minutes.
5. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake one pie crust for
10 minutes. Remove from oven.
6. In a bowl, mix vegetable broth with 2 tablespoons of flour. Add broth to
vegetables. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
7. Pour mixture into precooked bottom crust. Place top crust over and trim,
seal, and vent. Brush with nondairy milk.
8. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until golden brown. Enjoy!
Makes 4-6 servings
|"Steak" & Beer Pot Pie
•3 cups meatless granules
(Morning Star, Bocca, etc.)
•1 1/2 cup boiling water
•1/4 cup ketchup
•1/2 cup quick oats
•4 TB steak sauce, or brown sauce
•1 t basil
•1 cup Pale Ale
•1/2 cup finely chopped onion, sauteed in oil
•1 cup gluten flour
•1 tsp salt
•1/4 tsp pepper
•1/2 tsp oregano
•1/2 tsp garlic powder
•1/2 tsp onion powder
•1 TB finely minced parsley
•1 TB additional oil
Mix in a large bowl first 8 ingredients,
Add boiling water and let stand for 10 minutes.
Mix remaining ingredients into the bowl
Lightly oil a bread pan, pack mixture tightly in.
Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.
Let sit in pan for 10 minutes, loosen all edges before slicing,
Serve with mushroom gravy and mashed potatoes
Serves 4 - 6
|Give these recipes a try and you won't be
disappointed. They are quick, easy, and fun to cook.
And remember, when in doubt just use more beer!
Be seeing you...
|For outstanding beer Elaine recommends the Gaslight Brewery
and Restaurant, 15 So. Orange Ave, South Orange, NJ
For vegetarian food at a BYO try The Loving Hut, 538 Rt. 10, Ledgewood, NJ
|More Great Recipes