|Here's my take on some healthy foods that pack
plenty of flavor. Try these easy to cook recipes
and you won't be disappointed. And of course,
don't forget my golden rule -
when in doubt use more beer!
|Beer Infused Tofu Squares
1 cup cornmeal
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon garlic pepper salt
1 tablespoon parsley
1 (12 ounce) can India Pale Lager or Pale Ale
1 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
1/2 (14 ounce) block extra firm tofu, pressed and sliced 1/4" thick
3/4 cup soybean or sesame oil, divided
1. Mix cornmeal and spices together in a big bowl, set aside.
2. Put the vegan beer a large bowl and gradually add the flour until it creates
a batter that drips off of a spoon, runny like pancake mix. Set aside.
3. Dip slices of tofu into beer batter, and let any excess drip off of it.
4. Dredge dipped tofu in cornmeal mixture, make sure it's covered really good.
5. Heat 1/2 the oil in a large pan on medium heat until it crackles
6. When water is flicked into it. Fry 1/2 the tofu until it is golden, and drain
on paper towels. Fry remaining tofu with remaining oil.
|Double S (stout & "steak") Pie
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups cremini mushrooms, sliced
1 pound seitan chunks
1/4 cup flour + 2 tablespoons flour, divided
salt and pepper
1-1/2 cups potatoes, diced
1/2 cup carrots, chopped
thyme and rosemary
1 tablespoon vegan worcestershire sauce
1 (12-ounce) bottle Stout beer
2 pie shells
1 cup vegetable broth
1. Heat olive oil in 2-quart saucepan. Add onion and cook until
almost translucent. Add garlic and mushrooms.
2.Dust seitan with 1/4 cup flour and add to pan. Season with salt
and pepper and cook for 5 minutes.
3. Add potatoes, carrots, thyme, rosemary, worcestershire
sauce, and beer.
4. Cover, lower heat, and simmer for 15 minutes.
5. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake one pie crust
for 10 minutes. Remove from oven.
6. In a bowl, mix vegetable broth with 2 tablespoons of flour. Add
7. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Pour mixture into precooked bottom crust.
8. Place top crust over and trim, seal, and vent. Brush with nondairy milk.
9.Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until golden brown.
PS- give this a try with an Imperial Stout for more intense flavor
|Give these recipes a try and you won't be
disappointed. They are quick, easy, and fun to cook.
And remember, when in doubt just use more beer!
Be seeing you...
|For outstanding beer Elaine recommends the Gaslight Brewery
and Restaurant, 15 So. Orange Ave, South Orange, NJ
For vegetarian food at a BYO try The Loving Hut, 538 Rt. 10, Ledgewood, NJ
|Beer Drenched Tacos
1 (12 ounce) package tempeh, cut into 12 strips
1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup Double IPA or Strong Ale
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon paprika
oil, for deep frying
12 corn tortillas, warmed, to serve
guacamole, to serve
shredded cabbage, to serve
salsa, to serve
1. In bowl, mix flour, baking powder, beer, salt, and paprika with a
wire whisk until thoroughly mixed.
2. Heat oil for deep frying. Dip a few tempeh strips into beer batter
and then place in oil.
3. Once they are golden brown, remove to a paper towel to absorb
excess oil. Continue with all remaining tempeh strips.
4. Serve in warm corn tortilla, and top with guacamole,
cabbage and salsa.