|Here's my take on some healthy foods that pack
plenty of flavor. Try these easy to cook recipes
and you won't be disappointed. And of course,
don't forget my golden rule -
when in doubt use more beer!
|Bread Pudding with Stout Sauce
3 large eggs
2 large egg whites
1 cup skim milk
3/4 cup maple syrup
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
5 cups cubed day-old whole-wheat sandwich bread (1-inch cubes)
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup strong stout or barleywine
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Whisk together eggs, egg whites, milk, maple syrup,
vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg in large bowl. Fold in cubed bread, raisins, and
dried cranberries, and let stand 5 minutes to allow bread to absorb custard.
2. Coat 9-inch-square baking pan with cooking spray, then spread bread
mixture in pan. Bake 35 to 40 minutes, or until you can press on center of
pudding and no raw egg mixture rises up. Cool slightly, then cut into 8 squares.
3. Warm stout gently and pour over pudding.
on each serving. S
3 medium leeks, white and light green parts chopped (6 cups)
1 1/2 Tbs. olive oil, divided3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbs.)
3 Tbs. chopped fresh rosemary, divided
2 medium sweet potatoes (2 lb.), peeled and cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices
1/2 cup IPA or pale ale
3 Tbs. Italian seasoned dry breadcrumbs
2 Tbs. finely grated Romano cheese, optional
1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat 10-inch round pan with cooking spray.
2. Heat 1 Tbs. oil in nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
3. Add leeks, garlic, and 1 1/2 Tbs. rosemary; sauté 8 minutes,
or until softened. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
4. Arrange one-third sweet potato slices over bottom of
prepared pan, overlapping slightly.
5. Spread half of leek mixture on top.
6. Arrange another one-third sweet potato slices over leeks;
7.Top with remaining leeks, followed by remaining sweet potatoes.
8. Drizzle beer over dish. Cover pan with foil, and bake 35 minutes.
9.. Stir together breadcrumbs, remaining 1 1/2 tsp. oil, remaining 1 1/2 Tbs.
rosemary, and Romano cheese, if desired, in small bowl.
10. Remove foil from gratin, and sprinkle with breadcrumb mixture.
11. Bake, uncovered, 15 minutes, or until breadcrumbs are browned and crisp.
Let gratin cool slightly before cutting into 8 wedges and serving.
|Roasted Garlic Beer Bread
2 whole garlic bulbs
2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 Tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups lager or pilsner
Preheat oven to 375°F. Remove the papery covering of the garlic
and slice off the tops.
Wrap heads in foil and bake for 45 minutes, or until garlic is very soft. Let cool.
2 Grease a 9-inch-by-5-inch loaf pan. In a large bowl, squeeze out the
soft garlic pulp and mix with flours, sugar, olive oil, baking powder,
rosemary, and salt.
Add beer and stir until just combined (don't overmix). Bake for 50 to 55 minutes,
or until top is golden brown and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Let cool before unmolding and slicing.
Makes 10 servings
|For outstanding beer and vegetarian food Elaine recommends the
Gaslight Brewery and Restaurant, 15 So. Orange Ave, South Orange, NJ
For vegertarian food at a BYO try The Loving Hut, 538 Rt. 10, Ledgewood, NJ
|More Great Recipes